Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Obsessed Chapter 9



Title:    Obsessed
Rating:    PG
Author:    SilverSnikle
Pairing:    Clois - Clark & Lois
Timeline:   Season 9
Warnings:   Season 9 spoilers
Disclaimer:   Borrowed characters and some dialogue... No affiliation to CW/WB, DC
Summary:   Lois never went to the future. Since The Blur cut off communication, she's has a new obsession.

Feedback:   Oh, yes please!
________________________


Lois clicked the send button and pulled the zip drive free of her laptop. The story was complete and on it's way to final editing. She put the zip drive in her purse and grabbed her car keys. Time to make an appearance at work. If she were honest with herself, she just wanted to see Clark's smile. But when was Lois ever truly honest with herself? Never.

On the drive to Metropolis she had time to think. It seemed every song on the radio made her think about another aspect of her and Clark's developing relationship. She had been adamant about taking things slow, and she truly meant it. That didn't mean, however, that she wasn't wishing for time to speed up. She couldn't wait until enough time had passed that they were in that comfortable place. Although, the beginning was usually the most exciting part of a relationship. She frowned.

What if, as time went on, Clark became less interesting. Well, that would never happen. But what if Lois became less interested in Clark. That was completely possible. Look at her and Oliver. The guy runs around the city in costume, saving people, and she walked away from him. Then again, maybe simple, normal Clark was exactly what she needed.

She parked her car and walked out onto the street. The sun was shining and she couldn't help but just breathe in the smells of the city. She immediately regretted it. Cities don't typically smell the best, and Metropolis was no exception. She held her purse tight against her as she walked to the front doors of the planet. She wanted to be there before Tess finished reading the article.

/

“When I asked you to help me back-track my father's steps, I didn't realize you'd be able to just pull up video because you wired my house!” Clark was stunned to be looking at his own home on the monitor, and it was evident in the frustration in his voice. How could she do something like this? If anyone understood his issues with privacy, it would be her.

Clark, before you burst a blood vessel, let me explain-”

Clark wasn't in the mood to listen to an explanation.

“Seriously, Chloe! How could you? Why didn't you tell me about them?” It wasn't just the fact that she had him on tape, it was mostly that she hadn't let him in on it. He felt extremely exposed. With good reason.

“Look - Clark, I'm sorry, okay? But I think the cameras may have actually recorded something that might lead us to the book of Rao.” She was chewing her lip, and he knew she was truly sorry, but he wasn't ready to forgive this intrusion. Not yet. “Look, here. He put something there.” She was pointing at the wall on screen.

Clark saw the video, and then he was gone, heading to his home. Still angry about the lack of personal, well anything these days, he punched the wall. He frowned immediately; he should have x-rayed it first. He pulled out his phone and dialed the number, still angry.

“Chloe, the Book of Rao isn't here. I know you just came across that footage, but there's got to be something more on it.”

“I'm looking at it now, Clark. Jor-El put it in the north wall. I wish I could give you more.” He could still hear the apology in her voice.

“Chloe, if that book really holds unlimited power, then we need to find it.” He wanted to focus on this; it was the most important thing now. What difference did it make if Chloe was spying on him if the Earth was destroyed? “I got to go.”

/

Lois sat across from Tess in the boss's office, waiting. Tess looked up at her and Lois was frustrated by her own inability to read the redhead's expression.

“Very well done, Lois.” She closed her laptop. “I noticed you didn't name any sources.”

“That's hard to do when all your information is provided anonymously over encrypted emails.” She shifted in her seat.

“Well, I'm just glad you took the time to verify the information, and didn't waste any time trying to uncover your source's identity.” Tess smiled and Lois thought it looked like an 'I know something you don't want me to' kind of smile.

“Well, I'm nothing if not professional. So, I take it my article will replace that garbage about the DA's release on the front page?” She raised an eyebrow.

“I'll see what I can do. You sure waited until the last moment to get this in.”

“I knew it had to be perfect.” Lois stood and walked toward the office door. Before reaching it she turned back toward Tess. “Sorry to ruin your big break.”

Lois didn't see Tess smiling as she closed the door behind her. She didn't see Tess pulling up an email account and deleting it from existence. She certainly didn't see Tess sigh in relief.

/

Clark was standing on a roof, listening from a distance as Faora informed her fellow Kandorians of the truth about Zod. She would be a great leader; he was proud of her and of her strength. She finished her speech and left them all to think over her words. She stepped out onto the street below and Clark watched as Zod rounded the corner. He frowned. Faora put on a mask of emotions, and walked away with him.

Clark knew he had other things to deal with. He hated to leave her with that man, but right now, he had no choice. The evening papers would already be printing. Zod would find out that his secrets had been exposed, and Clark fully expected him to become even more determined to complete the towers. Faora told him Zod had not yet uncovered the book of Rao, but the tower's unveiling was set for the morning. He thought maybe Faora didn't have all the answers.

Chloe had been texting him different locations to search. The newest one was the mansion. Evidently, she'd found something in her surveillance videos that had her convinced that Tess was the one who had taken Jor-El away from the Kent farm. Of course Tess would be wrapped up in this. He should have known she knew more than Chloe could prove she did.

He was thankful she was at the Planet. He searched the Mansion room by room, but didn't find the book. In the basement, he stopped to think. Anger and frustration swelled inside him and smashed a fist through the shelf next to him.

His phone rang and he pulled it out. The number was blocked.

“Clark? It's Vala. I can't find Faora.” Clark closes his eyes, remembering that last time he'd seen her, only an hour or so ago, walking away with Zod.

“I'll be right there.” He closed the phone and headed back to the city.

/

“No luck at the Mansion, Chloe. But I need a favor. Can you use Watchtower to track down where Zod and Faora went? I saw them walking down Clay toward Market a little over an hour ago.” Clark was currently standing on the same spot he'd been at then.

“Sure, Clark, is everything okay?” He wanted to tell her - to confide in her what he was feeling, but he couldn't bring himself to do it.

“I'll let you know as soon as you get me a location.”

“Okay, I found them, I'm sending you the coordinates.” Clark heard the beep and looked down at his phone; it was only a few blocks away.

He sped over to the roof of the building Chloe had sent him to. Standing still he listened closely for their voices.

I found a young and beautiful cadet who would become my trusted right hand. Oh, you were so brave in the face of death. I knew then that you would be a true partner. I've trusted you, for so very long - depended on you, across time and space. But in your eyes, I just see contempt. I see betrayal. Now, why would you turn your back on me? I shared my bed with you.” Clark didn't like the tone of Zod's voice.

“I didn't turn my back on you. You turned your back on us when our only crime was trying to forge a life for ourselves on this planet.” Clark couldn't stop the smile from spreading across his lips. He'd finally convinced them that adapting was the right thing to do.

“If I ever learned that insurrection had spread across my ranks, if I ever discovered that my men had aligned themselves against me, I would raze this planet. I would burn it to the ground till the last ember went cold beneath my boot.” Clark swallowed. He didn't want to admit it, but from those words, it didn't sound like he would be able to fulfill his father's dying wish. Saving Zod might not be something he was capable of. “Now, only I will lead us to the next age. All will follow Zod.”

“You already sacrificed one world for your ego.” Score one for Faora. Clark worried what could result from her reminding him of his previous failings.

“You know nothing of sacrifice.” Even from the roof, Clark could hear that those words were spat.

“I know more than you ever will.”

“Kneel.”

“Never.” Clark swelled with pride as the person who had believed in Zod the most finally made the right decision and stood up to him.

And then he fell to his knees. The sound of her soft grunt froze him in place, his hands on the ground, his eyes shut tight. It took him a few seconds to regain his strength. He sped down to the lower level where they were. From the shadows he could see that there was no saving her. All the powers he possessed, and there was nothing he could do for her now. He watched as Zod fell to her side, his head on her stomach. If he didn't hate the man so much, he might actually feel for him.

Clark stepped forward. “She was carrying your child.” He said it softly, but the words still echoed in the open space. Zod didn't move. Clark moved further into the open.

“I heard the heartbeat myself. She was carrying a strong child.” He watched as Zod reached for her hand, uncurling her fingers.

From them he took the flower she had been carrying, the flower from the pregnancy ceremony she had told Clark about. Zod's eyes flooded with tears. He was a broken man, and still Clark could not empathize with him.

“I will not let you ruin this planet as you did Krypton.” And with that, he left Zod alone to mourn.


No comments:

Post a Comment